By Melissa Dittmann Tracey, REALTOR® Magazine
May marks National Moving Month, a kick off to the traditional moving season. Many households will be on the move in the coming months, whether it’s relocating a few blocks away or miles away.
The number of households on the move is expected to grow. One in three U.S. households say they plan to move in the next five years, according to a survey of 10,000 households by The Demand Institute.
But what are these soon-to-be movers looking for in their next home?
The Demand Institute’s research reveals several unmet housing-related desires – gaps between what Americans say they have currently and what they say they want in their next home. Could these satisfaction gaps motivate them enough to want to move?
The following are the top 10 housing desires, ranked according to the satisfaction gap. Find out what these movers likely will be searching for in their next home (and what you may want to emphasize if your listing has any of these features):
1. Very energy efficient with lower monthly utility costs
2. Requires little or no renovation or improvements
3. Has an updated kitchen with modern appliances and fixtures
4. A home I can stay in as I get older
5. Home is located in a safe neighborhood with low crime
6. Fits my budget, without requiring sacrifices
7. Offers a lot of privacy from neighbors
8. Has a lot of storage space
9. Has a good landlord that is responsive to maintenance requests
10. Is a good long-term investment