By Melissa Dittmann Tracey, REALTOR(R) Magazine
Ghosts and goblins will soon be creeping around neighborhoods. And if it’s a big dose of scare you crave this Halloween, look no further than in your kitchen. In fact, there’s plenty of fright in the kitchen. You just can’t see it.
NSF International recently had a team of microbiologists uncover the six “germiest” items in a kitchen. For the study, microbiologists analyzed 14 popular kitchen items in homes across Ann Arbor, Mich. The scientists found E.coli and Salmonella on 25 percent of the items tested, Listeria on 10 percent of the items, and yeast and mold on 100 percent of the items tested — all germs that can make you sick.
Here are the six hot-spots for germs in the kitchen, according to NSF International:
1. Refrigerator vegetable compartment: Salmonella, Listeria, yeast and mold
2. Refrigerator meat compartment: Salmonella, E.coli, yeast and mold
3. Blender gasket: Salmonella, E.coli, yeast and mold
4. Can opener: Salmonella, E.coli, yeast and mold
5. Rubber spatula: Salmonella, E.coli, yeast and mold
6. Food storage container with rubber seal: Salmonella, yeast and mold