By Melissa Dittmann Tracey, REALTOR(R) Magazine
Winner of NKBA’s 2013 Best Kitchen design competition: Wendy F. Johnson, Designs for Living, Manchester, Vt. The kitchen featured a “curved LED-lit glass bar overlooking art glass on panels in the cooking and entertaining centers.”
Shades of gray, quartz finishes, and energy efficiency are all growing in popularity in kitchens and baths this year, according to a National Kitchen & Bath Association survey of 2013 design trends.
NKBA reports that home owners this year are spending, on average, $47,308 on making over their kitchens, and $18,538 in bathrooms.
Here are the top 10 trends emerging from this year’s report for kitchens and bathrooms:
1. Gray color schemes
2. Quartz finishes for counter surfaces
3. Transitional styles — a blend of traditional and contemporary
4. White painted cabinetry in the kitchen
5. Glass blacksplashes
6. LED lighting
7. Touch-activated faucets
8. Satin-nickel finishes in kitchens
9. Ceramic or porcelain tile flooring
10. Undermount sinks in bathrooms