Submitted by Case Design/Remodeling
Do-it-yourself projects are all the rage right now, between home owners looking to save money and eco-friendly trends in repurposing used household items and materials. But what are the top DIY projects that home owners are currently doing?
While Case Design/Remodeling’s blog typically focuses on larger remodeling topics like the pros and cons of open floor plans, they also offer creative home improvement ideas using repurposed materials and home updates to consider before you sell. Fred, a subsidiary of Case Design, focuses on home maintenance projects that home owners can undertake themselves or contract out through a handyman service.
Here are the top DIY and home improvement projects homeowners are doing right now, according to Joaquin Erazo, Jr. of Case Design/Remodeling, Inc.
1. Redoing kitchen cabinets: Stripping and refinishing your existing kitchen cabinets allows you to update them for a low cost to save money on a kitchen remodel or as its own home improvement project. Reusing the same kitchen cabinets also keeps materials out of the landfill. If you decide to replace your kitchen cabinets, the old ones can often be repurposed elsewhere in the home, such as in the laundry room, garage or bathroom.
2. Redoing the front door: Replacing your front door does a lot to improve curb appeal. It’s a common home improvement project that most home owners can do on their own. You can save money by refinishing your existing door instead of buying a new one. You can strip and stain or reseal a natural wood door or repaint a metal door in new, vibrant colors. Replacing the hardware is easy and can give a simple door a detailed look.
3. Repurposing furniture: You can find used furniture for low prices at yard sales, antique stores, and on online posting boards and then refinish or recover the items yourself. This is currently a trendy way to create unique pieces according to your own tastes and styles while saving money on expensive new furniture.
4. Painting: A fresh coat of paint is one of the most common DIY home improvement projects because it’s a low-cost project that most home owners can accomplish on their own. It’s also a project that immediately brightens any room by giving it an instant facelift.
5. Gardenscaping: This trendy project turns unused yard space and high-maintenance lawns into edible landscaping in just one or two weekends. Many home owners already own the few tools necessary to make raised garden beds out of wooden planks. Salvaged wood can be repurposed and other used materials can be turned into creatively upcycled raised beds and planters.